Roles and responsibilities
- study and rehearse musical scores prior to performance
- play music in recital, as an accompanist, or as a member of an orchestra, band or other musical group, from score or by memory
- make recordings for sale on compact disc or via download
- make videos to represent the music
- may provide musical backing for television commercials, popular recordings, radio, television or film productions
- may improvise, transpose, compose, or arrange music
- may play under the direction of a conductor
As a musician you can work creatively in a number of different areas. You could be self-employed or are engaged through agents.
You could also consider becoming a music or singing teacher and establish your own practice or be appointed to the staff of a primary or secondary school, conservatorium, private music school or university.
There are also careers available with the Australian Broadcasting Corporation (ABC) or commercial radio and television, with the Australian Defence Force, in music librarianship, arts administration, music journalism, music and instrument sales, music and record publishing, music direction, and musicological research.