Diplomatic service officers promote and protect Australia’s interests and citizens overseas, and provide advice on foreign policy.
Roles and responsibilities
What does a Diplomat do?
Diplomats may perform the following tasks:
- monitoring political and economic developments in other countries
- representing Australia in government and the media
- assisting Australian citizens in other countries
- processing visa applications for people overseas who wish to come to Australia.
What personal requirements will you need?
- an interest in international affairs
- a willingness to work anywhere in the world
- initiative and quick thinking
- good problem-solving skills
- excellent written and spoken communication skills
- the ability to get on with people from all societies and cultures.
The University of Western Australia