If you’re wondering if applying for a scholarship is a smart idea, spoiler alert… it is! Not only for your bank account but also for your resume. Receiving a scholarship can give you a competitive edge in the job market, help with building connections through networking and opening doors to future opportunities. And, while some scholarships are quite competitive based on academic performance, if you’re not dux of the school, there’s probably still one that could have your name on it.
We have hundreds of scholarships that can help you with the cost of study, relocation and living expenses. UWA awards over $6 million in scholarships every year (more than any other Western Australian uni), and it’s not just for the super smart. There are scholarships for everything from academic and sporting excellence, to global experience, leadership, and social impact, as well as for women, Indigenous students, regional and remote students and scholarships for students experiencing challenges to help realise every students’ potential.
Here are some of the types of scholarships available to UWA students:
Academic Excellence – provides financial support to students who have been recognised for their outstanding academic results.
Diversity, Equity and Inclusion – provide opportunities to students, new or current, who experience educational disadvantage due to varying circumstances.
Global Experience – provide an enriched educational experience for both domestic and international students. We want to create new and exciting opportunities and collaboration beyond geographic borders!
Leadership, Social Impact and Talent – created to support students with the potential to drive change and become influential leaders across society, industry, sports and academia.
Prestigious Scholarships – externally-funded prestigious scholarships are intended for you to undertake study or research at the world’s top universities by showcasing your academic excellence, together with your leadership potential and desire to make an impact on communities.
Not sure which scholarship is right for you?
If you’re a Year 11 or 12 student with outstanding achievements and leadership ability, check out the UWA Fogarty Foundation Scholarship.
If you’re a school leaver relocating from outer regional and remote regions to undertake full time study at UWA, you might be eligible for the Commonwealth Tertiary Access payment.
These are just a few scholarships available, but there are plenty more on offer that might suit you.
We have a number of scholarships available to International students too. If you’re an International student planning to study at UWA, view our guide for scholarships available to international students.
Important steps for applying for scholarships
1. Do your research – explore your options and find out all the important details. Here’s a few things to look out for:
- Who offers the scholarship?
- What does the scholarship cover? And, for how long?
- What are the eligibility requirements?
2. Take your time – make sure you understand the application process before applying and gather everything you need for your application
3. Check the application methods – can you apply online? Make sure you check on the UWA scholarships website
4. Take note of the deadlines – allow for enough time to draft your application, review it and submit in time for the closing date
5. Triple-check your application – check that you’ve fulfilled all requirements and that you’re happy with your application (make sure you're putting your best foot forward!)
6. Consider applying for more than one scholarship – scholarships are competitive so it cant hurt to have a back-up plan in place. You can apply for multiple scholarships and there will be other opportunities to apply for scholarships throughout your time at uni.
7. Talk to us – we offer support and guidance to help you find the right scholarship to suit you and assist with your application. You can speak to the Scholarships team from 8.30am to 5pm, Monday to Friday on +61 8 6488 3834, via email at email@example.com or find answers to your scholarship questions anytime at AskUWA.
The key takeout? With hundreds of scholarships on offer, there’s bound to be one for you. Most require you to submit an application. So, find one or a few that look right for your strengths, circumstances and aspirations and throw your hat in the ring by applying!