Tracking evolution and biosynthesis of cyclic peptide natural products
- Suggested readings
- Mark F. Fisher, Jingjing Zhang, Oliver Berkowitz, James Whelan, and Joshua S. Mylne (2020). Cyclic Peptides in Seed of Annona muricata Are Ribosomally Synthesized. Journal of Natural Products Article ASAP
- Bahar Behsaz, Hosein Mohimani, Alexey Gurevich, Andrey Prjibelski, Mark Fisher, Fernando Vargas, Larry Smarr, Pieter C. Dorrestein, Joshua S. Mylne, Pavel A. Pevzner (2020). De Novo Peptide Sequencing Reveals Many Cyclopeptides in the Human Gut and Other Environments. Cell Systems, 10 (1), 99-108.e5
- Jingjing Zhang, Colton D. Payne, Benjamin Pouvreau, Hanno Schaefer, Mark F. Fisher, Nicolas L. Taylor, Oliver Berkowitz, James Whelan, K. Johan Rosengren, and Joshua S. Mylne (2019). An Ancient Peptide Family Buried within Vicilin Precursors. ACS Chemical Biology, 14 (5), 979-993
- Mark F. Fisher Jingjing Zhang Nicolas L. Taylor Mark J. Howard Oliver Berkowitz Aleksandra W. Debowski Bahar Behsaz James Whelan Pavel A. Pevzner Joshua S. Mylne (2018). A family of small, cyclic peptides buried in preproalbumin since the Eocene epoch. Plant Direct, 2 (2).
- Achala S. Jayasena, Mark F. Fisher, Jose L. Panero, David Secco, Kalia Bernath-Levin, Oliver Berkowitz, Nicolas L. Taylor, Edward E. Schilling, James Whelan, Joshua S. Mylne (2017). Stepwise Evolution of a Buried Inhibitor Peptide over 45 My. Molecular Biology and Evolution, 34 (6), 1505–1516
Step 3 - Lodge application
After you have discussed your project with the research team leader, you should be in a position to proceed to the next step of the UWA application process: Lodge an application. Different application procedures apply to domestic and international students.
- Domestic students
The Australian Government's Endeavour Awards and Scholarships are available to Australian applicants for study in participating countries and regions.
- International students
A range of scholarships are available from international organisations and governments. The full list, organised by country, is available on the Future Students website.
In addition, all international students may apply for International Research Training Program scholarships.
The Australian Government's Endeavour Awards and Scholarships are available to international applicants from participating countries and regions.
- Indigenous students
- Indigenous students are encouraged to apply for Indigenous Postgraduate Research Supplementary Scholarships.
- Forrest Foundation scholarships
- All international and Australian students who wish to study towards the degree of Doctor of Philosophy (PhD) at The University of Western Australia may apply for Forrest Scholarships.
Proteins date back to the time of sabre toothed cats
Plant scientists at The University of Western Australia have discovered a completely new family of small proteins called PLPs (PawL Peptides) that form by piggybacking on other proteins. The scientists found ‘protein-piggybacking’ of PLPs began in seeds of a daisy ancestor that existed 45 million years ago during the Eocene Epoch period - around the time sabre toothed cats walked the earth.Read more
Proteins hiding in proteins take an evolutionary shortcut
How a drug-like protein ring evolved in sunflowers has been pieced together by Australian and US scientists in a study published in Molecular Biology and Evolution. Although the evolutionary process took some 45 million years, the researchers are still calling it a shortcut. The study team included researchers from The University of Western Australia; La Trobe University in Melbourne, the University of Tennessee and the University of Texas.Read more
Mylne Lab Research - Plant Biological Chemistry
In close collaboration with the Stubbs lab and guidance from AHRI, our lab is discovering chemically new herbicides and exploring new possible modes of action.Read more
Similar projects you may be interested in
Understanding and controlling defect formation in optoelectronic materials through atomistic simulations
- PhD opportunities
- Read More
Preparation of reactive metal complexes and their application as catalysts
- PhD opportunities
- Read More