UWA CELT facilities
The UWA Centre for English Language Teaching has excellent facilities, including:
- Modern classrooms
- Well resourced Library with a full-time librarian
- Two fully-networked computer laboratories with free internet and email access
- Campus cafe
- Student advice service
- IELTS Test Centre
- TOEFL iBT Test Centre
UWA facilities and services
Other UWA facilities and services available to all UWA CELT students include:
- Subject libraries, including Education, Fine Arts and Architecture, Law, Music, Mathematical and Physical Science with international newspapers, extensive research resources and fully-networked computers
- Sports centre with a fully-equipped gymnasium, squash, basketball, badminton and tennis courts, table tennis facilities, and cricket and soccer ovals
- Martial Arts Centre with international judo coaches
- Heated swimming pools on campus
- Medical centre with doctors and nurses experienced in helping local and international students
- Banking and Credit Union facilities
- Shops, a newsagent and a post office with all services
- Travel agent with a full range of travel brochures and information for students
- Student counselling service
- Festivals and seasonal events
- Art Gallery and Museums on campus
- Free lunchtime concerts
- UniAccess to provide support to students with disabilities
During your studies at UWA CELT, you will have the opportunity to experience the many different areas of UWA. The University has several campuses including: Crawley, Claremont and Nedlands.
As a UWA CELT student, most of your classes will be on the Claremont campus; you may also have classes on the Crawley campus as well as in one of the University's residential colleges.
For a number of reasons, your class will be in different locations throughout each term. Therefore, you need to check every day to see which rooms have been assigned to your class for each session. When you do have a class off the Claremont Campus, we shall give you clear directions to your assigned room.
UWA CELT's staff are happy to help you solve all kinds of problems, ranging from the personal to the practical, including study and visa issues. You have the support of the student adviser, management, administrative and teaching staff.
Course assessment and progress
Every term, your teachers will assess the progress you make in your course studies. Teachers will assess your English language ability through different tasks, which may include your performance in:
- formal and informal class tests
- homework and independent learning tasks
- interviews and presentations
- research assignments
- completion of on-line language tasks or other computer-based tasks, and
- participation in class and group activities.
If you regularly take an active part in classes, complete all course tasks, assignments and tests and demonstrate that your language skills have developed to a satisfactory level, you will have made satisfactory progress for the term and will be promoted to the next class.
You can demonstrate your success in developing your language skills by achieving the following results across your assessment tasks:
- If you have studied at a level for at least ten weeks, you need to have a 70% average across all skills with no skill below 60%.
- If you have studied at any level for five weeks and wish to be promoted, you need to have a minimum average of 70% across all skills of which two are at 80% or above and no skill is below 60%, or you need to have 75% overall with no skill below 70%.
Your teachers and the Director of Studies (DoS) monitor your progress for each term; and the DoS makes sure that you continue to learn and develop your language ability throughout your enrolment.
Demi Pair Program
The Demi Pair program allows students to combine full time study with work as an Au Pair.
Students typically work for 15 hours per week in exchange for homestay accommodation with full board and a weekly allowance.
Demi Pair placements are for a minimum of three months and are available to students travelling on either a student visa or a working holiday visa.
CELT arranges Demi Pair placements. Contact our Enrolments Officer for further information.