Professor Rhonda Clifford
Started at UWA: 2005
Award-winning research supervisor
My teaching ethos is to enable Master of Pharmacy students to become life-long evidenced based learners, efficient problem solvers, and outstanding pharmacy practitioners. Professor Rhonda Clifford
Professor Rhonda Clifford is the Head of School for Allied Health in the Faculty of Health and Medical Sciences.
Her area of research broadly covers Health Services Research, with an emphasis on projects that optimise the use of medicines for communities and patients. Professor Clifford has a significant service portfolio both within UWA and externally via professional pharmacy and other organisations.
While teaching and mentoring is a passion, Professor Clifford is also highly involved with curriculum development and prior to becoming the Director of the Division of Pharmacy, she co-ordinated and developed the Pharmacy Practice curriculum that makes up a large proportion of the content in the Master of Pharmacy program. The program has recently been re-accredited under her leadership by the Australian Pharmacy Council and received eight commendations for excellence in curriculum and teaching.
Professor Clifford is principal and/or co-ordinating supervisor of more than 10 PhD students, seven with national or international co-supervisors.
Involved in nearly 40 research projects
Over 60 publications in refereed journals
Presented more than 100 papers at national and international conferences
Voted in Australian Journal of Pharmacy's Top 12 Agenda Setters, 2018
- Voted best journal article by a PhD student by the Clinical Medicine & Dentistry discipline group panel at UWA (Rhonda Clifford as PhD supervisor) - Page AT, Clifford RM, Potter K, Schwartz D, Etherton‐Beer CD. The feasibility and the effect of deprescribing in older adults on mortality and health: A systematic review. BJ of Clinical Pharmacol. 2016; 82: 583-623
- Erik Kirk Memorial Award; For life-long contribution to excellence in the practice of pharmacy
- Nominated for Excellence in Teaching Award: Postgraduate Coursework
- First Prize: Allergy Poster Award, 25th ASCIA Annual Conference (RC CI; presented by S Salter; PhD student)
- Health Services Research & Pharmacy Practice (HSRPP) Conference, Aberdeen; runner up scientific poster Award (CI; co-author; presented by Liza Seubert; PhD student)
2018 - 2020
- WA Health Promotion Foundation Healthway
Strengthening consumer voice: using stories to shift mental illness stigma
Gabrielle Brand, Rhonda Clifford, Christopher Etherton-Beer and others
2017 - 2020
- Research Translation Program (HDWA)
The Australian Team Approach to Polypharmacy Evaluation and Reducation (AusTAPER) study for older hospital inpatients
Christopher Beer, Rhonda Clifford and others
- HDWA (TPCHRF; WA), Research Translation Grants (HDWA)
Methotrexate in Seriously Sick Kids (MiSSK); getting the dose right using pharmacogenomics
Rhonda Clifford, Zeyad Ibrahim, Brock Delfante and others
The Australian Team Approach to Polypharmacy Evaluation and Reducation (AusTAPER) study for older GP patients
Christopher Beer, Rhonda Clifford, Amy Page and others
Professor Clifford has considerable experience in supervising PhD and master's research projects. She is available as a PhD, master’s and honours supervisor in topics involving health services research and medicines optimisation.
Currently, Professor Clifford supervises, on average, 10 Master of Pharmacy research projects from UWA and two Master of Pharmacy research projects from students on exchange from University of Basel, Switzerland.