Professor David Pannell
Harnessing economics to overcome complex challenges in agriculture, natural resources and the environment
David Pannell is Professor of Agricultural and Resource Economics, University of Western Australia; David Pannell is also Co-Director, Centre for Environmental Economics and Policy; ARC Federation Fellow (2007-2012); Distinguished Fellow and past president of the Australian Agricultural and Resource Economics Society; Fellow of the Academy of Social Sciences in Australia; and a Director of Natural Decisions Pty Ltd. He was a Director on the Board of Land and Water Australia 2002-05. Professor Pannell’s research includes the economics of land and water conservation; environmental policy; farmer adoption of new practices; risk; and economics of farming systems. Professor Pannell’s research has been published in seven books and 200 journal articles and book chapters, and has been recognised with awards from the USA, Australia, Canada and the UK, including the 2009 ARC Eureka Prize for Interdisciplinary Research.
Australian Research Council’s Engagement and Impact Assessment, 2019
The 100 most ‘influential authors in the field of environmental and ecological economics, 2012
ARC Eureka Prize for Excellence in Interdisciplinary Research, 2009
Named as one of 500 "Western Australian Leaders" by the Sunday Times newspaper, 2005
UWA Expert Series
New process uses multiple computer models to manage COVID-19 outbreaksRead more
Adoption of agricultural innovations Special Issue
The papers are intended to provide reviews or syntheses of key issues related to farmers’ adoption of new practices and technologies. Each paper focuses on a particular aspect of the literature, and the collection as a whole provides an excellent introduction to this enormous body of research.Read more
Teaching and supervisor opportunities
Available to supervise a wide range of projects in agricultural economics, natural resource economics, and environmental economics.
Teaching in units
- Environmental Economics 1 (ECON1120)
- International Agriculture: Research and Development (AGRI5545)
- Benefit: Cost Analysis (new unit in 2021)
University of Western Australia
- Building capacity on economic analyses for Marine Protected Areas
- Pannell, D. & Meeuwig, J.
Australian Research Council
- Benefits and costs of non-market valuation for environmental management
- Pannell, D., Rogers, A., Burton, M., Johnston, R. & Iftekhar, M.
National Environmental Science Program (NESP)
- Northern Australian Environmental Resource Hub - Project Plan 2 - 2016-2019
- Douglas, M., Hipsey, M., Setterfield, S., Prout Quicke, S. & Pannell, D.
Cooperative Research Centre for Water Sensitive Cities
- Integrated economic assessment and business case development for Water Sensitive Cities
- Iftekhar, S., Pannell, D. & Fogarty, J.