Associate Professor Carmela Pestell
Started at UWA: 2013
2018 Community Service (Regional Achievement and Community Award)
2017 UWA Community Engagement Award within the School of Psychological Science
Awarded 10 research grants totalling $10M+ including two NHMRC grants
Invited Ambassador for NOFASD Australia, the national consumer organisation for FASD
FASD a main cause for youth suicide in WA
Along with FASD expert Professor Carmela Pestell, Dr James Fitzpatrick told Coroner Ros Fogliani the time had come to provide more resources to a strategy in the Fitzroy Valley.Read more
Perth mums endanger children by drinking alcohol while pregnant
Alcohol-damaged children are a hidden epidemic according to foetal alcohol spectrum disorder researcher Carmela Pestell.Read more
Neurotrauma Research Grant
- ‘A validation study to predict poor outcomes following mild traumatic brain injury’
- Fitzgerald, M., Fatovich, D., Pestell, C., Bynevelt, M., Licari, M., Robinson, S, & Xu D.
PATCHES Paediatrics, The University of Western Australia
- ‘Fetal alcohol spectrum disorder (FASD) diagnostic services and models of care grant opportunity’
- Dr James Fitzpatrick and Associate Professor Carmela Pestell
Telethon Kids Institute, The University of Western Australia
- 'Improving the management of youth with fetal alcohol spectrum disorder in the justice system’
- C. Bower, Dr Ross Marriott, R. Watkins, Dr Raewyn Mutch, Associate Professor Carmela Pestell, Professor Stephen Zubrick and Dr James Fitzpatrick
The University of Western Australia
- ‘Does manipulation of arterial shear stress enhance cerebrovascular function and cognition in the aging brain’
- Winthrop Professor Daniel Green, Professor Nicola Lautenschlager, Dr Kay Cox, Professor Jo Badcock and Associate Professor Carmela Pestell
Associate Professor Pestell is a co-supervisor for PhD and honours students on a range of research topics related to FASD, ADHD, concussion, brain injury and cognitive interventions.
Supervision opportunities are available in her research areas of strength: FASD, ADHD, brain injury and concussion. The selection process involves shortlisting and an interview, with one to two PhD students taken each year.
Email Associate Professor Pestell with a recent transcript, a CV and brief statement of approximately 100 words outlining what kind of research question you are interested in pursuing.
Complete an online form
School of Psychological Science
The School of Psychological Science centres on the teaching and research of mental processes.
Clinical psychology and clinical neuropsychology
The clinical psychology and clinical neuropsychology research group is focused on improving the quality of life for those impacted by brain and mental disorders.
Robin Winkler Clinic
The Robin Winkler Clinic provides individual and group psychological treatment and neuropsychological assessment for people of all ages and backgrounds.
Preventing, diagnosing and treating disease
Our wide-ranging research addresses some of the world's most significant health issues, from prevention and diagnosis, to treatment and cure.