Assistance – disability and medical conditions
Through UniAccess, the University’s disability officers can provide assistance to any enrolled student who wishes to disclose a disability or a chronic medical condition.
You can find the UniAccess disability officers at Student Services on the first floor of the Social Sciences Building, South Wing.
Don't hesitate to drop in and find out what types of support can be provided.
The services listed here are only some of those that are provided to students and staff with disabilities and medical conditions. You will need to register with UniAccess to be eligible for some special services; your eligibility will be shown on your Campus Card.
Borrowing and returning items
Library staff are available to assist in accessing books and research information. If it is difficult for you to come to our campus libraries, we can send items to you via the mail. A prepaid envelope will be included in the parcel for easy return. To register for this service contact UniAccess. Once registered you will be able to place requests for loans and digital scans through OneSearch.
Printing, photocopying and scanning
Use your Campus Card for printing, photocopying and scanning from multifunction devices (MFDs) which are available in all University Libraries. MFDs can be used for:
- printing from computers and wireless devices in the library
- photocopying printed material
- scanning printed material
Accessible MFDs can be found on the first floor of the Barry J Marshall Library and the ground floor of Reid Library.
Assistance at other WA university libraries
All UWA staff and students have reciprocal borrowing privileges at Curtin University, Edith Cowan University, Murdoch University and The University of Notre Dame.
To use the specialist services, facilities and equipment at one of these libraries, your Campus Card must be endorsed by UniAccess and presented at the other university library along with a signed letter of introduction from the UWA disability officers at UniAccess.
There are two Resource Rooms available for students who have registered with UniAccess:
- The Reid Library's Dickinson Resource Room is located in the southwest corner on the ground floor of the Reid Library Building.
- The Barry J Marshall Resource Room is located on the western side of the first floor of the Barry J Marshall Library.
The rooms contain specialised study equipment and ergonomic furniture and are available for use during normal opening hours.
Both rooms are equipped with:
- adjustable desks (sit/stand capacity)
- lockers (for students with a medical condition impacting capacity to carry text books)
- ergonomic chairs (adjustable for comfort and support)
- a rest area with firm but comfy lounges (to assist with resting while on campus)
- PCs (if unable to BYO device)
- JAWs software (for vision impaired students)
Only the Dickinson Resource Room has magnifier/zoom text software (for vision-impaired students).
Disability officers are available to assist in the use of specialist equipment and software.
Students who have specific needs for equipment or software in the Library Resource Rooms should make an appointment with a disability officer to discuss their needs. Phone (+61 8) 6488 2423.