UWA Dental School Annual Research Day 2019
- McCusker Auditorium and Foyer
- Map location
Date and time
- 28 June 2019, 8:30 am- 5 pm
- Dental School
- Future students
- Higher Degree by Research Students
- Graduates or near graduates
- Studying at another tertiary institution
- Complimentary entry for current students, staff, and staff holding adjunct or honorary positions within the UWA Dental School; Other attendees $50
The UWA Dental School is delighted to hold its Annual Research Day once again and invites you to attend.
Research Day consists of a full day program of talks from our Research Program Leaders, early career researchers and students. Our research programs are focussed on the key themes of:
- Biomaterials & Nano-Dentistry
- Craniofacial Biology
- Oral Imaging
- Oral Implantology and Periodontics
- Oral Oncology
- Paediatric Oral Health
- The day will conclude with the awarding of School and IADR student research travel grants.
In 2019, we are honoured to have two invited guest speakers, Professor Ajmal Mian and Associate Professor Nathan Pavlos to share their research and insights.
Professor Mian heads the Machine Intelligence Group in the Department of Computer Science and Software Engineering at the University of Western Australia and performs cutting edge research in computer vision and machine learning. He has published over 160 scientific papers in prestigious journals, received a number of research awards including the West Australian Early Career Scientist of the Year Award and has obtained approximately $12 million funding from the ARC and NHMRC. His research interests include computer vision, machine learning, deep learning, 3D data analysis, face recognition, human action recognition and remote sensing.
A/Prof Pavlos heads the Bone Biology & Disease Laboratory, at the School of Biomedical Sciences at the University of Western Australia. He completed his PhD in 2005, and was awarded a NHMRC CJ Martin Fellowship to complete his postdoctoral training at the Max-Planck-Institute (MPI) for Biophysical Chemistry, Germany with Prof Reinhard Jahn. In 2010 Dr Pavlos returned to UWA to start up his own laboratory with a focus on intracellular trafficking and transport in bone cells. He utilises innovative microscopy-based platforms together with high-through-put screens including integrative genomic, quantitative proteomics and phenomics to unravel the molecular mechanisms of bone-resorbing osteoclasts, which is applicable to a number of serious musculoskeletal diseases.
Research Day is a great opportunity for the Western Australian Dental Profession to engage with the School’s current research activities and to inspire future clinical researchers. The event is complimentary for current students and staff (including adjunct and honorary positions) of the UWA Dental School. An attendance fee of $50 will apply to all other participants. Morning tea, lunch and afternoon tea will be provided. This is an excellent continuing education event (6 CPD hours) brought to you by the UWA Dental School.
- Queries regarding the Research Day can be directed to Dr Kate Shearston at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Registration details:
- For UWA current students and staff (including adjunct and honorary positions) of the UWA Dental School please register your attendance by Friday 21 June 2019.
- For UWA students and staff external to the UWA Dental School and members of the dental profession and general public, payments can be made here before Friday 21 June 2019.