2019 WA Junior Mathematics Olympiad
- Weatherburn Lecture Theatre
- Map location
Date and time
- Tentative: 26 October 2019, 8am–2pm
- Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- A secondary school student in Year 11
- Future students
- A parent of a prospective student
- Contact us if your school wishes to enter a team
UWA, with the Western Australia Mathematical Olympiad (WAJO) Committee, will host the WA Junior Mathematics Olympiad again in 2019, for all bright Year 8 and 9 and exceptional Year 7 students.
The aim of the competition is to identify the most gifted students in mathematics.
2019 competition details
What to bring: Pens, pencils and, if you wish, a ruler and compass
Special conditions: No calculators. Brains only.
Prize ceremony: Social Sciences Lecture Theatre at 1pm.
*The Bunbury campus of Edith Cowan University is our satellite venue for hosting schools in the South West region. The competition will run concurrently with the one in Perth.
For more information, visit the official WAJO Website.
How to enter
Contact us on +61 8 6488 3338 if your school intends to enter a team.
If you have one or two students at your school whom you would like to participate, but not enough for a full team, let us know and we will form teams of 'allies'.
A completed registration form with names of the participating students and accompanying teachers can be submitted via email. Bank details will be provided for payment of the registration fees upon receipt of the form.
Participants email list
We have set up a WAJO participants email list. This email list is moderated to prevent spamming. It is used to notify the Principal or Heads of Mathematics Departments or others interested in or involved in the organising of school teams for the Olympiad.
Email to this list will be limited to the couple of months before the Olympiad.
Prizes and sponsors
- The University of Western Australia Department of Mathematics and Statistics – Prize for the most outstanding Year 9 student
- Curtin Department of Mathematics and Statistics – Prize for the most outstanding Year 8 student
- Mathematical Association of Western Australia – Jack Bana Award for Excellence for the most outstanding Year 9 team
- Edith Cowan University School of Engineering and Mathematics – David McDougall Award for Excellence for the most outstanding Year 8 team
- New Edition Bookshop – Award for Excellence
- Data Analysis Australia – Award for Excellence
- Murdoch University – Award for Excellence
- The University of Western Australia's Faculty of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
- Department of Education Gifted and Talented Selection Unit – Award for Excellence
There are prizes for second and third best in each of the first four categories.
- Dr Greg Gamble (WA State Director, AMOC)
- Prof Michael Giudici (Chair, Organising Committee, UWA)
- Dr Alice Devillers (UWA)
- Dr Miccal Matthews (Day Manager, UWA)
- Prof Cheryl Praeger (UWA)
- Assoc Prof Phill Schultz (UWA)
- Assoc Prof Jamie Simpson (Curtin University)
- Mr Mark White (Rossmoyne SHS)
- Dr Elana Stoyanova (Department of Education)
Past Olympiad Winners
Other Prizes and Awards
Though not related to WAJO, these prizes and awards are awarded at the WAJO closing presentation ceremony: