Future and commencing students

Find information about starting a new course at UWA if you're currently located overseas. 

Frequently asked questions

Can I defer my offer to study at UWA?

If you have not accepted your offer and have decided to defer your studies to a later intake, for the majority of courses you can defer your offer at any stage prior to your course commencing. You will only be able to defer your offer once; however, consideration is given to those with genuine exceptional circumstances including circumstances related to COVID-19.

  1. Go to your offer letter and click on 'Respond to my offer'.
  2. You may be asked to activate your Pheme (a UWA Access Management System)
      a.  If you are asked to, complete activation of your Pheme, then proceed to Step 3.
      b.  If you are not asked to activate your Pheme, proceed directly to Step 3.
  3. Click on 'Log in'. Your username is your UWA student number if you have already activated it, otherwise it will be the email address you used to create the account.
  4. Click 'Defer my offer' and complete the deferral process.

If you have already accepted your offer, or the deferral option is not displaying on your online offer, you will need to contact the Future Students Centre.

If I have received a scholarship with my offer of study at UWA will I still be eligible for this scholarship, even if the delivery is online?

Yes. Scholarships are awarded based on meeting academic and/or other criteria, rather than the mode of study you are undertaking.

What alternative pathways are available for offshore international students who are not able to complete their ATAR equivalent qualification, or do not meet UWA's ATAR requirements?

If you are unable to meet UWA’s minimum entry requirements for direct entry through your international or overseas qualification, you may consider undertaking a pathway program. In Perth, Canning College offers the Western Australian Universities’ Foundation Program and a Diploma of Commerce or UWA College offers a Diploma in Science, Diploma in Commerce and the UWA College Foundation Program.

Visit Canning College and UWA College for further information.

Are there any changes to the tests required for an application to a professional degree in Health and Medical Sciences, such as medicine or dentistry?

Application timelines and due dates remain in place for 2023 entry into a professional degree in dentistrymedicine, optometrypharmacy and podiatric medicine. The University is monitoring the situation regarding COVID-19 restrictions and the potential impact on selection processes. Refer to the Health and Medical Sciences (HMS) Admissions website for updated information regarding the admissions process.

As a commencing student, if I decide to stop my studies will I receive any credit for the fees I have paid?

Visit our refunds and remissions page for information on: 

(i) Excess payments;
(ii) Receiving credit for paid tuition fees; and
(iii) Fee Refund Policy – International students.

UWA has worked to support students studying overseas through 2020 and 2021 and continues to do so into 2022. 

For students who are were unable to travel to Perth due to changes to WA’s border opening date in Semester 1, 2022, and who do did not wish to or are were unable to commence their course online, we will review applications for a full refund on compassionate and compelling grounds. Please provide a statement of impact along with your request when submitting to us via askUWA.

If I am studying online outside of Australia in 2022 due to my home country’s border restrictions, what is the student visa process?


  1. New and continuing students may apply for a student visa when they have a Confirmation of Enrolment (CoE), even if they are currently studying online offshore. Normal student-visa requirements remain in place, including visa length, Overseas Student Health Cover (OSHC) requirements and welfare arrangements for students under 18. 
  2. The Australian Government’s Department of Home Affairs determines if a student visa will be issued. 
  3. If you would like to discuss your visa application and likelihood of your application being approved, please contact the Department of Home Affairs for advice

Refer to the following Australian Government websites for current advice:

Am I eligible to apply for a Post-Study Work Visas (Temporary Graduate visa (subclass 485), if I completed part or all of my studies online during the travel restrictions?

Refer to the following Australian Government websites for current advice: 

Can I retain my Global Excellence Scholarship (GES) if I defer my course start date or take approved leave from my UWA course?

If you defer your course before commencement, Admissions will reassess your scholarship eligibility against the scholarship conditions that apply to your new intake, and will reissue the offer with updated scholarship details. Alternatively, if you apply for Approved Leave after you have enrolled and the leave is approved by your Student Advising Office, your GES will be paused for a maximum of two semesters while you are on leave. Once you reenrol after Approved Leave, the GES will be reactivated and the GES fee reduction reflected in your Fees/Accounts.