Travel advice

2. Travel advice

Frequently asked questions

2-1 - What are the current Australian travel restrictions and how long will they be in place?

International travel

The Federal Government advises all Australians: do not travel overseas at this time. From 9pm AEDT 20 March 2020, only Australian citizens, residents and immediate family members can travel to Australia.

You cannot enter WA unless you are an exempt traveller. The Quarantine (Closing the Border) Directions set out exempt traveller categories. Entry into WA may be subject to terms and conditions, including a requirement to quarantine for 14 days. You may apply for an exemption via G2G PASS. If coming from overseas, you'll be subject to the Australian Government's mandatory 14 day quarantine period at your own expense in the first Australian port of entry.

International travel for University business is not permitted.

Interstate travel

The WA Government transitioned to a controlled interstate border arrangement on Saturday, 14 November 2020.More information on the WA State Government controlled border arrangements can be found here.

WA remains in a State of Emergency due to the global pandemic and therefore the situation has potential to change rapidly. Western Australians should be prepared for this. In the event that it becomes necessary to re-establish more restrictive border arrangements, the WA Government will provide for return entry to WA on a compassionate basis and conditional on necessary quarantine arrangements.

Travel within Western Australia

From Sunday 14 February 2021, travel outside the Perth metropolitan and Peel regions for work, study and research purposes can resume without formal exemption.

2-2 - What are the current conditions for entry and quarantine for interstate travel to Western Australia?

Conditions for entry

All interstate travellers to WA, including WA residents returning home, are subject to:

  • Completion of a G2G PASS
  • Health screening and temperature test on arrival at Perth Airport
  • COVID-19 testing, if required

All travellers will receive an SMS health check reminder one week into their stay in WA, while arrivals by land will be met at the border checkpoint for health screening and to check G2G PASS declarations.

Conditions for quarantine

Very low risk states and territories - no community cases in 28 days:

  • Not required to quarantine
  • If you are travelling from a very low risk state or territory and have knowingly had contact with a person from a medium or low risk state or territory in the 14 days prior to travel, you will be subject to the same quarantine conditions as that person and must self-quarantine for 14 days when you return to WA.

Note: if you are travelling from a very low risk state or territory and have knowingly had contact with a person from a medium or low risk state or territory in the 14 days prior to travel, you will be subject to the same quarantine conditions as that person and must self-quarantine for 14 days when you return to WA.

Low risk states and territories - less than five community cases per day on a 14-day rolling average:

  • Must self-quarantine for 14 days in suitable premises
  • Must present for a COVID-19 test on Day 11 if still in WA

Medium risk states and territories:

  • Not permitted to enter Western Australia unless they meet exemption requirements
  • Must self-quarantine for 14 days in suitable premises, unless exempt
  • Subject to a COVID-19 test within 48 hours of arrival and on day 11 of quarantine, or at any point when symptoms develop
  • Must wear a mask if practicable and available from when travellers enter WA until they arrive at suitable self-quarantine premises or government approved quarantine facilities

These are subject to change and the WA Government website should be monitored for updates.

2-3 - What is a suitable premises for home quarantine?

A suitable premises is a location where you and those travelling with you can live for 14 days without putting others at risk.

This includes:

  • Essential food, toiletries and medication can be delivered to the place of isolation without you having contact with those delivering the items and without you leaving the premises.

If there are other people staying at the accommodation:

  • You must be able to stay more than 1.5 metres away from them at all times
  • They must not be elderly, immunocompromised or have any underlying medical conditions

You must:

  • Have a separate bedroom
  • Have a separate bathroom
  • Be able to avoid being in the kitchen / living area
  • Be able to have food/medication delivered to your room

You should not share dishes, drinking glasses, cups, eating utensils, towels or pillows. These items should be wash thoroughly with soap/detergent and warm water or placed in the dishwasher for cleaning after each use.

You should ensure that high touch surfaces such as phones, light switches TV remote, door handles and communal areas such as kitchen, bathroom, are cleaned regularly with household detergents or disinfectant.

2-4 - Can I travel interstate for University business?

In line with WA’s controlled interstate border, work related interstate travel will recommence from 14 November 2020. Your travel will need to meet relevant business, safety and health and government requirements before being approved in Concur. Refer to the COVID-19 Leader Guide for details on these requirements, approval pathways and travel health considerations.

It is important to be aware that state government conditions of entry and border arrangements can change at any time dependent on public health advice. We encourage you to consider contingencies when planning travel should your flight or accommodation arrangements be impacted, including travel insurance coverage specific to COVID-19 (exclusions apply).

2-5 - What measures can I take to safe while travelling interstate?

Assess your personal risk

Everyone has a responsibility to consider their personal level of risk, the transmission of COVID-19 at their destination(s) and whether travel and associated activities are essential and can be done safely. Even where there are no or very low numbers of community cases the situation can change rapidly.

Prior to travelling it is important that people consider their personal risk. If they are a vulnerable person, caring for or visiting a vulnerable family member this should form part of their risk assessment.

Hygiene and Preventive Measures

There are important steps you can take to protect yourself and others from COVID-19 while travelling which include:

  • Practising good hand and respiratory hygiene
    • Wash hands often or use alcohol based hand sanitiser
    • Avoid touching your face and high touch surfaces
  • Maintaining physical distancing, 1.5 metres wherever possible and maximum separation when in vehicles
  • Avoid sharing accommodation, amenities or equipment with others
  • Avoiding queuing, large gatherings and peak times at restaurants, shopping centres etc which require close contact or physical interaction
  • Using a private vehicle or avoiding peak public transport times where possible
  • Increasing ventilation by opening windows or adjusting air conditioning
  • Regularly cleaning and disinfecting high touch surfaces, objects and devices
  • Utilising contactless payment and check in procedures
  • Not travelling while unwell

Face Masks

Where there is low community transmission of COVID-19, wearing a mask in the community when you are well is not generally recommended. However, where there is significant community transmission, you may choose, or be required to wear a mask. The main value of wearing a mask is to protect other people.

Face masks are recommended as an extra precaution in areas where community transmission is occurring:

  • when physical distancing is difficult to maintain (e.g. bus, train, plane, shopping centres)
  • for older people and people with existing medical conditions including heart disease, diabetes or respiratory illness.

Air Travel

The Australian Aviation industry have developed a Domestic Passenger Journey Protocol which is supported by the Australian Health Protection Principal Committee. To date, there have been few published reports of COVID-19 transmission in flight, particularly where appropriate control measures have been implemented. The risk appears to be mitigated by forward facing seats, the height of the seats, the ventilation and filtration systems and other controls applied prior to flight and inflight, including hygiene and environmental measures.

While wearing face masks is not mandatory on all domestic flights they can be used as a precaution. Some airlines may have their own their own hygiene protocols that require you to wear a face mask while on board. If using a face mask it is important to do so safely to avoid increasing the risk of infection to yourself and others. You must be careful about how you put on and take off your mask [PDF].

Local Transmission, Restrictions and Conditions

You should monitor the current transmission rates in the areas intended for travel or transit, it is important to check the State and Territory Travel Restrictions and Conditions and be mindful that these can change during the period of travel.

Use of the COVIDSafe App can also be helpful in early identification of contact with a confirmed case of COVID-19 while travelling. You can also monitor the locations visited by people with COVID-19 following arrival by referring to Domestic Travel in COVIDSafe Australia.

Follow us

wechat qr code