Health advice

Health advice

Free Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) are available now

UWA students and staff can now access up to 20 free Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) as part of the State Government’s free RATs distribution program.

Free RATs can be collected on campus. For more details refer to the FAQs below:

Frequently asked questions

How can I collect my free Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs)

To collect your free Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs) you can go during business hours 9.00am to 4.00pm)

  • Upstairs at UniPrint Campus Shop, 1st Floor, Guild Village  to collect your Rapid Antigen Tests (RATs).

Eligible students and staff will be able to collect up to 20 free RATs. Don’t forget to bring your staff or student card along to collect the RATs.

The RATs are packed individually, so it’s a good idea to bring a bag to carry them.

What if I am unable to attend campus to collect my free RATs?

There are several options to collect your free RATs if you are unable to attend campus:

  • WA Government Free RAT program; Free RATS can be accessed at various pop up locations (metro and regional). This includes drive through access for people who are close contacts. Full information is available on the website.
  • Students who are registered with UniAccess and unable to attend campus can email; The team will consider the eligibility requirements (registered with Uni Access, UWA student, and unable to access campus) and make arrangements.
  • Staff who are experiencing vulnerability or unable to attend campus can email The team will consider the eligibility requirements and make arrangements.
I received an SMS saying I can click on a link to get a free RAT. Is this related to UWA's free RATs?

No. This is a scam message. Do not click on the link. If you have opened a link or provided any personal information, contact the Australian Government's Scams and Identity Theft Helpdesk on 1800 941 126.

Are the RATs the WA Health Department have withdrawn from sale part of the free RATs distribution at UWA?
No. The tests being distributed for free by UWA to current staff and students as part of the State Government’s free RATs distribution program have not been withdrawn from sale by the WA Health Department. 
How can I reduce my risk of COVID-19 infection?

COVID-19 cases are increasing in the Western Australian community, and new sub-variants are leading to reinfections for people who have already had COVID-19.

Since the Omicron variant reached WA months ago, the dominant subvariant was BA.2. However, most new cases in the Western Australian community today are being recognised as either Omicron BA.4 or BA.5.

The BA.4 and BA.5 subvariants are considered more contagious than earlier variants due to their increased ability to infect people who have been infected previously.

With cold and flu also circulating in the community, it’s important to protect yourself, your family and your colleagues from serious illness.

Face masks are strongly encouraged indoors, especially in crowded indoor spaces.

There are other things we can do to stay safe and healthy, including:

  1. Staying up to date with both the flu and COVID-19 vaccines. A fourth dose of the COVID-19 vaccine is encouraged for everyone aged 30 years and over. If you’ve already had COVID-19, it’s recommended you wait 3 months post-infection before getting your next dose.
  2. Getting tested if you feel unwell. Remember if you’ve already had COVID-19, you still need to test again if you have symptoms once it’s been more than 28 days since you recovered.
  3. Keeping up good hygiene habits such as washing and sanitising your hands regularly.
Are face masks mandatory for any health related services on campus?

Yes. To align with WA Heath Department requirements, face masks remain mandatory in settings where health care is delivered face-to-face.

Therefore, face masks are mandatory for staff and students in:

  • The Medical Centre;
  • Counselling and Psychological Services; and
  • UniAccess

Students visiting The Living Room are encouraged to wear masks, but it is not mandatory.

What do I do if I have tested positive to COVID-19 or have had close contact with a confirmed COVID-19 case?

If you have tested positive for COVID-19 or have been in close contact with a COVID-19 positive person, please refer to the WA Government recommendations. You are strongly encouraged to stay home if feeling unwell. 

Please also log your information as follows:

What do I do if I develop symptoms?
If, as a UWA staff member or student, you feel unwell and suspect you may have COVID-19, please refer to the WA Government recommendations: COVID-19 Coronavirus: Testing for COVID-19
Does my Overseas Student Health Cover cover me for COVID-19?

Cover is available to Medibank OSHC policyholders for medical services provided in hospital and out of hospital, including PBS prescription medicines and emergency treatment. Limits, exclusions and terms and conditions apply.

Contact Medibank to discuss your individual case or read the OSHC cover summary for further details.

Student health and support: 1800 887 283 

Talk to someone about your cover: 134 148

Please note that waiting periods may apply for treatment for pre-existing conditions.

For more information, read the Medibank FAQs.

Am I eligible for Telehealth at UWA Health and Medical Services?

A patient is eligible for telehealth at a GP medical centre if:

  • They have an established clinical relationship with a GP, or a medical practice and has had at least one face-to-face service to the patient in the 12 months preceding the telehealth attendance; 
  • Children under the age of 12 months;
  • People who are homeless;
  • Patients receiving an urgent after-hours (unsociable hours) service;
  • Patients of medical practitioners at an Aboriginal Medical Service or an Aboriginal Community Controlled Health Service;
  • People who have tested COVID-19 positive and staying at home because they feel unwell; 
  • Patients accessing medical consultation for:
    • blood borne viruses, sexual or reproductive health consultations;
    • pregnancy counselling services;
    • mental health services; and
    • nicotine and smoking cessation counselling.
How do I request a Telehealth consultation?

Call reception on 6488 2118 to book an appointment or book online. The fee policy remains for both telehealth and face-to-face appointments.

For telephone consultations

The doctor will call you on your preferred phone number.

For video consultations

Microsoft Teams is the preferred platform for video consultations. Please make sure you have access to Teams via the app on your phone or on a desktop. The doctor will initiate the consult via Teams video using your student/staff details.

*We will endeavour to send through electronic scripts and referrals where possible. Otherwise, please nominate a pharmacy or specialist for us to forward your documentation to.

**Payment will be processed after consultation over the phone.

Can I attend UWA Health and Medical Services if I am not fully vaccinated?

Yes. All visitors to the UWA Health and Medical Services are not required to show proof of vaccination. 

Can I attend UWA Health and Medical Services if I have respiratory symptoms?

University Health and Medical Services is not equipped as a Respiratory Clinic.

If you have a fever or flu-like symptoms, like a cough or runny nose, please do not attend any medical facility in person. Please ring reception on 6488 2118 prior to your appointment or for further advice and redirection to the nearest clinic for appropriate treatment and management.

What are my options to visit a doctor at UWA Health and Medical Services if I am sick?
  1. UWA Heath and Medical Services are not quipped to be a respiratory treatment centre. We recommend that if you have any respiratory symptoms to please attend the nearest respiratory clinic.
  2. UWA Heath and Medical Service will still see patients face-to-face for vaccinations, pre-enrolment infection control, procedures and following triage assessment (below).
  3. Face-to-face appointments can be booked via reception where we can appropriately triage your consultation. Call 08 6488 2118. Bookings for in-person appointments should not be made online.
  4. Non-urgent medical consults can be delivered via telehealth services provided you meet the eligibility, criteria set by Medicare.

Eligibility Criteria: Patients need to have an existing clinical relationship with their GP (having had a face-to-face consultation with the same GP or another practitioner at the same practice in the 12 months prior to their telehealth consultation).

Patients subject to Public Health Orders, specific GP mental health services, nicotine cessation and sexual and reproductive health services by telehealth are available to all patients, as per current telehealth eligibility requirements.

If you are COVID positive or isolating and become sick you can also book a telehealth consultation with UWA Health and Medical Services (see below).

           5. If you fall outside of the criteria, you may request a face-to-face consultation as above.

Can I access UWA Health and Medical Services if I am COVID positive or isolating?

The UWA Health and Medical Services will support you if you are COVID positive or isolating and become sick. You are eligible for a telehealth consultation in this instance which can be booked online or by calling reception on 6488 2118. If you are COVID positive and have high risk factors, you are eligible to register for the WA COVID home monitoring service.

Please note: It is mandatory to wear a mask when visiting the UWA Health and Medical Services.

Am I able to get a clearance test for COVID-19 through UWA Health and Medical Services?

UWA Health and Medical Services cannot test for COVID-19. If you suspect that you have the virus and/or meet the case definition of a close contact, visit a COVID clinic near you.

Where can I get further information on COVID-19?

Please refer to the WA Government's COVID-19 coronavirus page.

Additional information sources can be accessed through the Western Australian Department of Health COVID-19 (coronavirus) page.

What should I do if I need evidence of a negative COVID-19 test for visa purposes?

You should visit your GP to get a referral to a COVID clinic or a private testing lab. Please note this test may incur a fee. You should start this process several weeks in advance to allow time for appointments and test results to be returned. For more information, contact the UWA Health and Medical Services.

Will I be eligible for the COVID vaccine as an international student in Australia?

Yes. The Australian Government will offer free vaccines to all people living in Australia, including  visa holders, to ensure the maximum possible coverage. For more information, see the Australian Government website.

Can I view information on the COVID vaccine in my native language?

Yes. The Australian Department of Health has developed a range of resources about COVID-19 vaccines in up to 63 languages. For more information, see the Department of Health website.

Where can I get a COVID-19 vaccination on campus?

The UWA Health and Medical Services offers both the Pfizer and Moderna COVID-19 vaccinations. Appointments can be made via an online booking form.

Follow us

wechat qr code