The Faculty of Arts, Business, Law and Education supports visiting researchers both nationally and internationally through our fellowships. These enable visitors to pursue UWA-based research and share their experience with staff, students and the community with lectures and seminars.
The Fred Alexander Fellowship
This fellowship program brings leading national and international visitors to the University for short-term visits to pursue research and give lectures.
It is funded by an endowment fund established from the donations of friends and alumni.
Visitors have included:
- 1992 Dr Terence Ranger, St Antony's College, Oxford University
- 1994 Professor Phyllis Mack, Rutgers University
- 1995 Professor Keith Robbins, University of Wales
- 1996 Dr Jonathan Steinberg, Trinity Hall, Cambridge University
- 1997 Professor Marilyn Lake, La Trobe University, Melbourne
- 1997 Jay Winter, Pembroke College, Cambridge University
- 1998 Professor Judith Bennett, University of North Carolina
- 1999 Professor Lyndal Roper, Royal Holloway and Bedford New College, University of London
- 2000 Dr Jane Carruthers, University of South Africa
- 2001 Professor Henry Reynolds, University of Tasmania
- 2002 Associate Professor Anna Haebich, Griffith University
- 2003 Professor Donna Gabaccia, University of Pittsburgh
- 2006 Dr David Maxwell, Keele University, England
- 2006 Dr Robert Lambert, University of Nottingham
- 2006 Professor Femme Gaastra, University of Leiden
- 2007 Dr Hubertus Jahn, Cambridge University
- 2008 Professor Andrea Carlino, University of Geneva
- 2008 Dr Jeannette Bastian, Simmons College
- 2009 Professor Tom Griffiths, Australian National University
- 2009 Professor Libby Robin, Australian National University
- 2009 Margaret Byrne Professor of American History, Richard White, Stanford University
- 2011 Professor Antonia Finnane, University of Melbourne
- 2012 Professor Joanna Bourke, Birkbeck College
- 2014, Associate Professor Zephyr Frank, Stanford University
- 2015, Professor Joy Damousi, University of Melbourne
- 2016, Dr Ben H. Shepherd, Glasgow Caldeonian University
- 2017, Professor John A. Davis, University of Connecticut
The Fellowship is named after Professor Fred Alexander (1899–1996), the founding head of UWA's Department of History.
For information on the Fellowship program and endowment fund, contact the Discipline Chair, Associate Professor Andrea Gaynor.
The Tom Stannage Fellowship
The Tom Stannage Fellowship brings distinguished scholars working in the field of Australian History to the University for short-term visits to contribute to the intellectual life of the University through a public lecture and masterclass workshop.
It was established by friends and family, colleagues and former students of Professor Tom Stannage AM, a graduate and Professor of History at The University of Western Australia from 1971 until 1999, to commemorate his work and contribution to teaching.
Fellows have included:
- 2017 Professor Henry Reynolds, University of Tasmania
- 2018 Professor Ann McGrath, Australian National University