Asst/Prof Shiaohuey Chow
Research Assistant Professor
Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems
- Contact details
- Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems
The University of Western Australia (M053)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 6488 6930
- ME Nan.Tech, PhD Syd.
- ShiaoHuey Chow obtained her B.Eng (Class 1 Honours) in Civil Engineering from University Teknologi Malaysia in 2000 and her M.Eng degree in geotechnical engineering from the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore in 2003. She has worked as a structural design engineer and lecturer in civil engineering in Malaysia before completing her PhD at the University of Sydney in 2013.
- Key research
- Offshore site investigation - free falling penetrometers
- Rate effects in clay
- Geotechnical physical modelling
- Soil element testing
- Chow, S. H. & Airey, D. W. (2013). Free falling penetrometers: a laboratory investigation in clay. Submitted to Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, in-print.
Chow, S. H. & Airey, D. W. (2013). Soil strength characterisation using free falling penetrometers. Géotechnique, in-print.
Nazem, M., Carter, J. P., Airey, D. W. & Chow, S. H. (2012). Dynamic analysis of a smooth penetrometer free falling into uniform clay. Géotechnique, 62(10), pp. 893-905.
Chow, S. H., Alonso-Marroquin, F. & Airey, D. W. (2012). Viscous rate effects in shear strength of clay. Proceedings of the 11th Australia New Zealand Conference on Geomechanics (ANZ 2012), Melbourne, Australia, pp. 1003-1008.
Chow, S. H. & Airey, D. W. (2011). Soil strength estimation using free falling penetrometers. Journal and News of the Australian Geomechanics Society, 46(1), pp. 105-112.
Chow, S. H. & Airey, D. W. (2011). Rate effects in free falling penetrometer tests. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, Seoul, Korea, pp. 592-599.
Chow, S. H. & Airey, D. W. (2010). Laboratory free falling penetrometer test into clay. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics. Perth, Australia, pp. 265-270.
Chow, S. H., Nazhat, Y. & Airey, D. W. (2010). Applications of high speed photography in dynamic tests. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics. Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 313-318.
Carter, J. P., Nazem, M., Airey, D. W. & Chow, S. H. (2010). Dynamic analysis of free-falling penetrometers in soil. Proceedings of GeoFlorida 2010: Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design (ASCE GSP 199), Florida, pp. 53-68.
- Graduate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Australia Section.
Graduate member of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia.
- Honours and awards
- Research Excellence Award by Faculty of Engineering & Information Technologies, the University of Sydney (2011)
Best student presentation award from the School of Civil Engineering, 2011 Student Conference, awarded by the Graduate School of Engineering & Information Technologies, the University of Sydney (2011)
2nd prize for poster presentation at Research Conversazione awarded by the School of Civil Engineering, the University of Sydney (2011)
2nd prize for presentation at AGS Young Geotechnical Professional’s Night awarded by Australian Geomechanics Society, Sydney Chapter (2010)
2nd prize for poster presentation at Research Conversazione awarded by the School of Civil Engineering, the University of Sydney (2010)
Service Excellence Award by Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia (2007)
- Research profile
Research profile and publications