Dr Shiaohuey Chow
Offshore Foundation Systems, Centre for
- Contact details
- Centre for Offshore Foundation Systems
The University of Western Australia (M053)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 6930
- ME Nan.Tech, PhD Syd.
- ShiaoHuey Chow obtained her B.Eng (Class 1 Honours) in Civil Engineering from University Teknologi Malaysia in 2000 and her M.Eng degree in geotechnical engineering from the Nanyang Technological University, Singapore in 2003. She has worked as a structural design engineer and lecturer in civil engineering in Malaysia before completing her PhD at the University of Sydney in 2013.
- Key research
- Offshore site investigation - free falling penetrometers
- Rate effects in clay
- Geotechnical physical modelling
- Soil element testing
- Journal Publication
(J10) Chow SH, O’Loughlin CD and Randolph MF (2014) Soil Strength Estimation and Pore Pressure Dissipation for Free-fall Piezocone in Soft Clay. Géotechnique, DOI: 10.1680/geot.14.P.107.
(J9) Sivakumar V, O’Kelly BC, Henderson L, Moorhead C & Chow SH (2014). Measuring the plastic limit of fine soils: an experimental study. Geotechnical Engineering, ICE, DOI: 10.1680/geng.14.00004.
(J8) Chow SH and Airey DW (2014) Free falling penetrometers: a laboratory investigation in clay. Journal of Geotechnical and Geoenvironmental Engineering, ASCE, 140(1), pp. 201-214.
(J7) Chow SH and Airey DW (2013) Soil strength characterisation using free falling penetrometers. Géotechnique, 63(13), pp. 1131-1143.
(J6) Nazem M, Carter JP, Airey DW and Chow SH (2012) Dynamic analysis of a smooth penetrometer free falling into uniform clay. Géotechnique, 62(10), pp. 893-905.
(J5) Chow SH and Airey DW (2011) Soil strength estimation using free falling penetrometers. Journal and News of the Australian Geomechanics Society, 46(1), pp. 105-112.
(J4) Chow SH, Norshida Ismail & A Naser Abdul Ghani (2009) Shear strength characteristics of sand-waste material mixtures. Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia, 70(1), pp. 36-43.
(J3) Chow SH, Ng SF & Salwah Che Mat (2007) An investigation on e-learning readiness of engineering students. Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia, 68(4), pp. 56-64.
(J2) Chow SH & Wong KS (2004) Model pile pull-out tests using polyethylene sheets to reduce downdrag on cast insitu piles. Geotechnical Testing Journal, ASTM, 27(3), pp. 230-238.
(J1) Wong KS, Chow SH, Wei J, Heng YS, Wa YL, Tan TL, Lim ST and Lionel Ang LJ (2002) Capacity of H-Pile in old alluvium - a prediction exercise, Journal of the Institution of Engineers, Singapore, 42(6), pp. 23-29.
(C5) Chow SH, Alonso-Marroquin F and Airey DW (2012) Viscous rate effects in shear strength of clay. Proceedings of the 11th Australia New Zealand Conference on Geomechanics (ANZ 2012), Melbourne, Australia, pp. 1003-1008.
(C4) Chow SH and Airey DW (2011) Rate effects in free falling penetrometer tests. Proceedings of the International Symposium on Deformation Characteristics of Geomaterials, Seoul, Korea, pp. 592-599.
(C3) Chow SH and Airey DW (2010) Laboratory free falling penetrometer test into clay. Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Frontiers in Offshore Geotechnics. Perth, Australia, pp. 265-270.
(C2) Chow SH, Nazhat Y and Airey DW (2010) Applications of high speed photography in dynamic tests. Proceedings of the 7th International Conference on Physical Modelling in Geotechnics. Zurich, Switzerland, pp. 313-318.
(C1) Carter JP, Nazem M, Airey DW and Chow SH (2010) Dynamic analysis of free-falling penetrometers in soil. Proceedings of GeoFlorida 2010: Advances in Analysis, Modeling & Design (ASCE GSP 199), Florida, pp. 53-68.
- Funding received
- Dr Shiao Huey Chow 2013, 'Interpretation of free falling penetrometer tests in clay for offshore site investigation', UWA ECM Research Development Grant -AUD 20k.
- Graduate member of the American Society of Civil Engineers, Australia Section.
Graduate member of the Institution of Engineers, Malaysia.
- Honours and awards
- (A8) Special Commendation for UWA Early Career Researcher Best Publication Award for the paper "Chow, S. H., O’Loughlin C. D. & Randolph, M. F. (2014). Soil strength estimation and pore pressure dissipation for free-fall piezocone in soft clay. Géotechnique, 64(10), pp. 817-827", The University of Western Australia (2015)
(A7) Manby Prize for the paper "Nazem M, Carter JP, Airey DW & Chow SH (2012). Dynamic analysis of a smooth penetrometer free falling into uniform clay. Géotechnique, 62(10), 893-905", The Institution of Civil Engineers, UK (2013)
(A6) Research Excellence Award by Faculty of Engineering & Information Technologies, the University of Sydney (2011)
(A5) Best student presentation award from the School of Civil Engineering, 2011 Student Conference, awarded by the Graduate School of Engineering & Information Technologies, the University of Sydney (2011)
(A4) 2nd prize for presentation at AGS Young Geotechnical Professional’s Night, Australian Geomechanics Society, Sydney Chapter (2010)
(A3) Endeavour International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (EIPRS), the Australian Department of Education, Science and Training (2009-2012)
(A2) Service Excellence Award, Universiti Teknologi MARA, Malaysia (2007)
(A1) Research Scholarship, Nanyang Technological University, Singapore (2001-2003)
- Research profile
Research profile and publications