Assoc/Prof David Symons
Coordinator, Academic Studies/Course Adviser
Academic Staff (Music)
- Contact details
- Academic Staff (Music)
The University of Western Australia (M413)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 6488 2056
- 6488 1076
- MA DipEd Syd., PhD W.Aust., AMusA
- David Symons is a graduate of The University of Sydney and since 1967 has been a member of the academic staff of The University of Western Australia where he is at present Associate Professor of Music.
- Key research
- His general area of research is early to mid-20th-century music including Australian music. His PhD dissertation at The University of Western Australia was on the symphonies of Egon Wellesz, and he has published articles and completed a book published by Heinrichsofen Books, Wilhelmshaven, Germany in 1997, on this composer. He has also written on the music of the German composer Hans Werner Henze as well as Australian composers David Ahern, Barry Conyngham, James Penberthy, Roger Smalley, Margaret Sutherland and David Tunley. His book, The Music of Margaret Sutherland, was published by Currency Press, Sydney, in 1997, her centenary year. More recent publications on her music have included an esay on her chamber music for a CD and also editions of chamber music and songs with scholarly prefaces. He also contributed a major article on Australian music composition before 1960 for The Oxford Companion to Australian Music (1997) and completed a similar article for the Companion to Music and Dance in Australia (1999). More recent publications have included an article on the Jindyworobak connection in Australian music and a book chapter on this topic in connection with the music of Clive Douglas. His most recent research has been on the music of John Antill, which has yielded two articles, and he is at present working on a book on the music of this composer
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- From 1970-1982 he was Associate Editor of The Australian Journal of Music Education; while from 1980-1984 he was Associate Editor, and from 1985-1992 Co-Editor of
Studies in Music, an international musicological journal published at
The University of Western Australia.
- David Symons's teaching at The University of Western Australia has ranged widely from introductory courses in the history of Western music and surveys of music in non-Western cultures to more specialized teaching (including the supervision of postgraduate research) in the areas of nineteenth and twentieth century music, Australian music since federation, tonal and post tonal harmonic and structural analysis and analytical theory.
- Research profile
Research profile and publications