Dr Louise Naylor
Cardiovascular Exercise Science (School of Sport Science, Exercise and Health)
- Contact details
- Cardiovascular Exercise Science
The University of Western Australia (M408)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- +61 8 6488 3887
- BSc PhD W.Aust.
- Dr Naylor's research focus is on cardiovascular adaptations to exercise training, and application of this work to optimise clinical outcomes for "at risk" populations, with an emphasis on adolescents with type 2 diabetes.
Dr Naylor has worked with elite athlethes and chronically ill individuals (for example, patients with advanced heart failure, obesity and adolescents with type 2 diabetes) to generate a multifaceted understanding of cardiac and vascular exercise physiology. She is also involved in basic science research to add further mechanistic insights into the regulation of the cardiovascular system.
Dr Naylor completed a undergraduate degree, with a taste of research during a Honours year at UWA in 2000. After a short break, Dr Naylor completed her PhD in 2006.
Dr Naylor continues her research into childhood obesity, and now has expanded her research area to include adolescents with Type 2 diabetes.
Dr Naylor is funded by a BrightSpark Foundation Fellowship to expand her work in this area.
- Key research
- Can exercise training improve health in adolescents with type 2 diabetes?
- REFEREED JOURNAL ARTICLES
1. LH Naylor, Watts K, Sharpe JA, Jones TW, Davis EA, Thompson AM, Ramsay JM, O'Driscoll G, Green DJ. Effect of resistance exercise training on diastolic myocardial tissue velocity in obese children. Med Sci Sports Exerc. 2008;40:2027-2032.
2. LH Naylor, K George, G O’Driscoll, DJ Green. Review Article. The Athlete’s Heart. A Contemporary Appraisal of the ‘Morganroth Hypothesis’. Sports Med 38 (1): 69-90, 2008
3. DJ Green, LH Naylor, K George. Cardiac and vascular adaptations to exercise (Invited Review). Current Opinion in Clinical Nutrition and Metabolic Care. 2006.
4. JA Sharpe, LH Naylor, TW Jones, EA Davis, G ’Driscoll, J Ramsay, DJ Green. Impact of obesity on diastolic function in subjects < or = 16 years of age. Am J Cardiol 98(5): 691-693, 2006.
5. K Watts, L Naylor, T Ackland, T Jones, E Davies, A Siafarikas, L Bell, B Beeson, D Green. Do skinfolds accurately assess changes in body fat in obese children and adolescents? Med Sci Sport Exerc 38(3):439-444, 2006.
6. LH Naylor, G O’Driscoll, M Fitzsimons, LF Arnolda, DJ Green. Effects of training resumption on conduit arterial diameter in elite rowers. Med Sci Sport Exerc 38(1):86-92, January 2006.
7. LH Naylor. CJ Weisbrod, G O'Driscoll, DJ Green. Measuring peripheral resistance and conduit arterial structure in humans using Doppler ultrasound. J Appl Physiol 98(6):2311-5, 2005 Jun.
8. LH Naylor, LF Arnolda, JA Deague, D Playford , A Maurogiovanni, G O'Driscoll, DJ Green. Reduced ventricular flow propagation velocity in elite athletes is augmented with the resumption of exercise training. J Physiol (London). 563(3):957-63, 2005 Mar 15.
9. DJ Green, W Bilsborough, LH Naylor, C Reed, J Wright, G O'Driscoll, JH Walsh. Comparison of forearm blood flow responses to incremental handgrip and cycle ergometer exercise: relative contribution of nitric oxide. J Physiol (London) 562(2):617-28, 2005 Jan 15.
10. D Green, C Cheetham, L Mavaddat, K Watts, M Best, R Taylor, G O’Driscoll. Effect of lower limb exercise on forearm vascular function: contribution of nitric oxide. Am J Physiol (Heart Circ Physiol) 283:H899-H907, 2002.
Green D, Naylor L, Amann M, Stickland M, Katayama K, and Dempsey J. Chapter 3: Cardiovascular and pulmonary adaptations to exercise training in advanced physiology textbook. In: Physiological Bases of Human Performance During Work and Exercise, edited by Elsevier, In preparation.
1. AM Thompson, LM Bell, L Naylor, L Ferreira, N Ratnam, K Watts, L Youngs, V Baker, TW Jones, D Green, EA Davis. Obese adolescents benefit more from a resistance training protocol than from traditional circuit training methods. Int Congress Obesity, 2006.
2. Resistance training improves insulin sensitivity in insulin resistant obese adolescents. AM Thompson, L Naylor, N Ratnam, K Watts, L Youngs, V Baker, TW Jones, D Green , EA Davis. Australasian Soc Study Obesity, 2005
3. L.H. Naylor, K.L. Watts, L. Bell, A. Siafarikas, A. Thompson, E.A. Davis, T.W. Jones, D.J. Green. Effect of resistance and circuit exercise training on left ventricular diastolic function in obese adolescents. Med Sci Sports Ex, 38: 5 (Suppl ), 2006.
4. L. Naylor, K. Watts, L. Bell, A. Siafarikas, A. Thompson, E. Davis, T. Jones, D.J. Green. Exercise training effects on body composition and diastolic function in obese adolescents. J Sci Med Sport 8(Suppl 4): 188, 2005.
5. L.H. Naylor, K.L. Watts, L. Bell, A. Siafarikas, A. Thompson, E.A. Davis, T.W. Jones, D.J. Green. Exercise training effects on body composition and diastolic function in obese adolescents. Heart Lung Circ. 14 (Suppl 1): S145, 2005.
6. L.H. Naylor, L.F. Arnolda, J.A. Deague, D. Playford, J.G. O’Driscoll, D.J. Green. Diastolic function is improved in elite athletes with the resumption of exercise training. Heart Lung Circ. 13 (Suppl 2): S49, 2004.
7. R.A. Phillips, M.J. West, D.J. Burstow, J. Wright, L.H. Naylor, D.J. Green, J. G. O’Driscoll. Incremental Doppler stress echocardiographic evaluation of cardiovascular reserve in heart failure: A case comparison of 2D independent CW Doppler and thermodilution. Heart Lung Circ. 13 (Suppl 2): S29, 2004.
8. Louise Naylor, Leonard Arnolda, David Playford, Jenny Deague, Martin Fitzsimons, Danny Green. Effects of exercise training on cardiovascular function and structure in elite athletes. Med. Sci. Sports Ex. 36(5): S330, 2004.
9. Louise H. Naylor, Leonard F. Arnolda, David Playford, Jenny Deague, Gerry O’Driscoll, Daniel J. Green. Exercise training improves ventricular diastolic function and increases vascular structure in elite athletes. Circ. 110 (Suppl), 2004.
10. L.H. Naylor, L.F. Arnolda, D. Playford, J.A. Deague, J.G. O’Driscoll, M. Fitzsimons, D.J. Green. Effects of exercise training on cardiovascular function and structure in elite athletes. J Sci Med Sport 6(Suppl 4): 54, 2003.
11. L.H. Naylor, L.F. Arnolda, D. Playford, J.A. Deague, J.G. O’Driscoll, D.J. Green. Relationship between left ventricular and brachial artery functional and structural adaptations in elite athletes. Heart Lung Circ 12(Suppl 3), 2003.
12. D.J. Green, L. Mavaddat, C. Cheetham, K. Watts, M. Best, J.G. O’Driscoll. Effect of lower limb exercise on forearm blood flow: Contribution of nitric oxide? Heart Lung Circ (Suppl), 2001.