Assoc/Prof Flavie Waters
Research Associate Professor (Tues, Wed, Fri)
- Contact details
- Graylands Hospital
The University of Western Australia (M708)
35 Stirling Highway
CRAWLEY WA 6009
- 9347 6650
- BSc Lond., MSc Essex, MPsych PhD W.Aust.
- I am a Senior Research Fellow at the Centre for Clinical Research in Neuropsychiatry (CCRN) and School of Psychiatry and Clinical Neurosciences, University of Western Australia, and Research Director of the North Metro Older Adult Mental Health Services. The focus of my research in the past 10 years has been to understand and characterise the brain-behaviour relationship of neuropsychiatric disorders. A common theme underlying my research is the evaluation of quantitatively specific components of schizophrenia using a combination of approaches, including psychopathological assessment, sleep-wake measurements, cognitive, genetic and electrophysiological investigations.
- Key research
- 1. Sleep dysfunctions in people with mental illness. My research aims to provide a better understanding, and to design better models of care and interventions, for sleep dysfunctions in persons with psychiatric problems. Sleep dysfunctions are commonly linked to mental illness, but they remain poorly understood, under-diagnosed and under-treated. I utilize the latest sleep technologies, including portable sleep EEG recording and actigraphy monitoring in research projects involving inpatients and outpatients. My goal is to improve the screening and availability of sleep interventions, so that all persons with mental health and sleep problems can benefit from a better quality of life.
- 2. Psychopathological symptoms. I am interested in characterising the brain mechanisms underlying auditory hallucinations, first rank passivity symptoms and delusions, using cognitive, electrophysiology and sleep-wake assessments. I am the principal organiser of the International Consortium on Auditory Hallucinations (hallucinationconsortium.org).
- 3. A related area of interest involves understanding self-recognition mechanisms. At present, my lab uses experimental tools such as the rubber hand illusion to induce body illusions in clinical and non-clinical populations. I am also interested in how body experiences change after the administration of psychoactive substances. Collaborations on these project include Dr Nick Holmes (UK) and Prof Matt Martin-Iverson (UWA).
- 4. Family and carers of individuals living with a severe and persistent mental illness. I am the lead investigator on the Family and Carers Education and Partnership Strategy (FACES) project, which aims to improve the quality of clinician engagement with carers and develop more robust partnerships between clinicians and carers.
- Last 5 years:
Jablensky A, Waters F (2014) RDoC: A roadmap to pathogenesis? World Psychiatry
Waters F, Fernyhough C (2014) Editorial special supplement introduction: Hallucinations. Schizophrenia Bulletin.
Waters F, Collerton D, ffytche D, Jardri R, Pins D, Dudley R, Blom JD, Mosimann U, Eperjesi F, Ford S, Laroi F (2014) Visual hallucinations in the psychosis spectrum and comparative information from neurodegenerative disorders and eye disease. Schizophrenia Bulletin (IF: 8.9)
Ford J, Cuthbert B, Hoffman R, Sommer I, Waters F, McCarthy Jones S, Thomas R, Jessica T, Sarah K, Badcock J, Morris S (2014) Studying hallucinations within the NIMH RDoC framework: Report from the 2nd International Consortium on Hallucination Research, Schizophrenia Bulletin.
Thomas N, Bentall R, Dodgson G, Garcia Montes J, Hayward M, Jenner J, Johns L, McCarthy-Jones S, Peters E, Sommer I, Waters F, Strauss C, van der Gaag M, Varese F (2014) Psychological therapies for voices: current status and key directions for future research. Schizophrenia Bulletin
Woodward T, Jung K, Hwang G, Yin J, Taylor L, Menon M, Waters F, Allen P, Mechelli A, Hubl D, Kindler J, Homan P, Peters E, Kuipers K, Lecomte T, Erickson D, Sommer I, Daalman K, van Luttervelt R, Badcock J, Chhabra S, Keedy S, Cella M, Preti A, Siddi Set al (2014) Symptom dimension of the Psychotic Symptom Rating Scale (PSYRATS) in schizophrenia: A multi-site study. Schizophrenia Bulletin
Waters, F. (2013). Time perception and discrimination in individuals with auditory hallucinations. The Neuroscience of Hallucinations. Eds R. Jardi, T. Pierre, D. Pines
Albrecht M, Graham K, Martin-Iverson M, Waters F (2013) The rubber-hand illusion: Manipulating our sense of body experience. In Consciousness: States, Mechanisms and Disorders. Eds Gotsiridze-Columbus
Waters F, Naik N, Rock D. (2013) Sleep, fatigue and functional health in psychotic patients. Schizophrenia Research and Treatment (http://dx.doi.orgn/10.1155/2013/425828).
Waters F, Naik N, Rock D. (2013) Sleep-disordered breathing in psychiatric inpatients: A survey. Schizophrenia Research.143, 393-394
Mellor A., Waters F, Olaithe M, McGowan H., Bucks R. (2013) Sleep and aging: Examining the effect of depression and sleep-disordered breathing. Behavioural Sleep Medicine, 11: 1-13
Spaapen D, Waters F, Bucks R (in press) The Emotion Regulation Questionnaire: validation of the ERQ-9 in two community samples. Psychological Methods
Waters F, Faulkner D, Naik N, Rock D (2012) Effects of polypharmacy on sleep in psychiatric inpatients. Schizophrenia Research, 139(1-3) 225-228
Waters F.(2012) Editorial theme introduction: Multidisciplinary approaches to understanding auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia and non-schizophrenia populations (The International Consortium on Hallucination Research). Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38(4):693-4
Waters F, Allen P, Aleman A, Fernyhough C, Woodward T, Badcock J, Barkus E, Johns L, Varese F, Menon M, Vercammen A, Larøi F. (2012) Auditory hallucinations in schizophrenia and non-schizophrenia populations: A review and integrated model of cognitive mechanisms. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38(4):683-93
Laroi F, Sommer I, Blom J-D, Fernyhough C, ffytch D, Hugdahl K, Johns L, McCarthy-Jones S, Preti A, Raballo A, Slotema C, Stephanie M, Waters F.(2012) The characteristic features of auditory verbal hallucinations in schizophrenia and across clinical disorders: a state-of-the-art overview. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38(4):724-33
Girschik J, Fritschi L, Heyworth J, Waters F (2012) Validation of a brief usual sleep questionnaire against actigraphy. Journal of Epidemiology, 5;22(5):462-8
Waters F, Manoach D (2012) Sleep dysfunctions in schizophrenia: A practical review. Open Journal of Psychiatry, 2(4A) 384-392
Waters, F, Aleman A, Fernyhough C, Allen P (2011) Report on the inaugural meeting of the International Consortium on Hallucination Research: A clinical and research update, and 16 consensus-set goals for future research. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 38(2) 258-262
Waters F, Woodward T, Allen P, Aleman A, Sommer I (2011) Self-recognition in schizophrenia and auditory hallucinations: a meta-analysis of the literature. Schizophrenia Bulletin, ;38(4):741-50
Mazhari S, Price G, Dragovic M, Waters F, Clissa P, Jablensky A (2011) Revisiting the suitability of antisaccade performance as an endophenotype in schizophrenia. Brain and Cognition,77(2) 223-230
Morar, B., Dragovic, M., Waters, F., Chander, D., Kalaydjieva, L., Jablensky, A. (2011) Neuregulin 3 (NRG3) as a susceptibility gene in a schizophrenia subtype with florid delusions and relatively spared cognition. Molecular Psychiatry.
Waters F., Bucks R. (2011) Neuropsychological impact of sleep loss on cognition: Implication for Neuropsychologists. Journal of International Neuropsychological Society, 17(4), 571-586
Albrecht M, Martin-Iverson M, Price G, Lee J, Iyyalol R, Waters, F (2011). Effects of dexamphetamine on the rubber-hand illusion test. Psychopharmacology 217(1):39-50.
Restifo S, Lemon V, Waters F (2011) Pharmacological treatment of behavioural and psychological symptoms of dementia in psychogeriatric inpatient units. Australasian Psychiatry, 19(1), 59-63
Waters F, Rock D, Dragovic M, Jablensky, A. (2011) ‘Social dysmetria’ in first-episode psychosis. Acta Psychiatrica Scandinavica 123(6), 475–4841
Mazhari S, Price G, Waters F, Dragovic M, Jablensky A (2011) Evidence of abnormalities in mid-latency auditory evoked responses (MLAER) in cognitive subtypes of patients with schizophrenia. Psychiatry Research, 187(3) 317–323, 2011
Waters F, Sinclair C, Jablensky A, Wulff K, Foster R (2011) Daily fluctuations in sleep-wake patterns: association with psychotic symptoms. Psychiatry Research, 187(1-2), 304–306.
Waters, F (2010) Auditory hallucinations in psychosis. Psychiatric Times, Vol. 27 No. 3
Waters, F., Almeida, O. (2010) Schizophrenia, psychosis and dementia. Eds D. Ames, A. Burns, J. O'Brien. 4th edition. Dementia.
Waters, F, Badcock, J. (2010) First-rank symptoms in schizophrenia: Re-examining mechanisms of self-recognition. Schizophrenia Bulletin, 36(3):510-517
Waters, F, Jablensky, A. (2010) Time discrimination deficits in schizophrenia patients with first-rank (passivity) symptoms. Psychiatry Research 167: 12–20
Mazhari, S, Badcock J, Waters, F, Dragovic, M, Jablensky, A.(2010) Impaired spatial working memory maintenance in schizophrenia involves both spatial coordinates and spatial reference frames. Psychiatric Research
Waters, F, Badcock, J. (2009) Memory for speech and voice identity in schizophrenia. Journal of Nervous and Mental Disease, 12; 887-891
Waters, F, Price, G, Dragovic M, Jablensky, A. (2009) Electrophysiological brain activity and antisaccade performance in schizophrenia patients with first-rank (passivity) symptoms. Psychiatry Research 170: 140-149.
Waters, F, Badcock, J, Dragovic, M, Jablensky, A. (2009) Neuropsychological functioning in schizophrenia patients with first-rank (passivity) symptoms. Psychopathology, 42:47-
- Roles, responsibilities and expertise
- Claire Mitchell (PhD, 2014-) Examining the cognitive processes underlying visual hallucinations in healthy and clinical populations (F. Waters, M. Maybery, S.Russell Smith)
Amelia Stephens (PhD, 2013-) Sleep dysfunctions in autism spectrum disorder: An open label trial of bright light therapy (M. Maybery, A. Whitehouse, F. Waters)
Vivian Chiu (PhD, 2013-) Melatonin and cognitive-behavioural therapy for the treatment of insomnia in people with schizophrenia (F. Waters) (2014 Daniel Beck Award, Schizophrenia Research Institute)
Alix Mellor (PhD, 2010-) Impact of sleep on cognition: Does depression matter? (PhD) (F. Waters, R. Bucks, H. McGowan) Best Poster Award (Scientific Merit) at the Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research, Fremantle
Devon Spaaten (Masters): Emotion regulation in the general community (F. Waters, R. Bucks)
Kyran Graham (PhD, 2010-) Body perception in schizophrenia’ (PhD) (F. Waters, Martin-Iverson)
Katherine Kent (Hons, 2013) Extinction effects on the Rubber Hand: Effect of dexamphetamine administration (M. Martin-Iverson, F. Waters)
Anthony Font (Hons, 2013) Effect of dexamphetamine administration on the Rubber Hand Illusion in health volunteers (M. Martin-Iverson, F. Waters)
Jeremy Downie (Hons, 2012) Effect of dexamphetamine administration on self-body perception in health volunteers (M. Martin-Iverson, F. Waters) First-Class honours
Russell Piper (Hons, 2012) Effect of repetitive Transcranial Magnetic Stimulation (rTMS) on self-body perception in health volunteers (M. Martin-Iverson, G. Price, F. Waters)
Katrin Hanken (Masters Degree, 2011; student exchange) Sleep-disordered breathing in schizophrenia (F.Waters)
Michelle Hodge (2011) ‘Sleep disturbances and the Behavioural and Psychiatry Symptoms of Dementia’ (F. Waters, R Bucks)
Shahrzad Mazhari (2009) ‘Cortical inhibitory deficits as a core deficit in schizophrenia’ (PhD) (A. Jablensky, G. Price, F. Waters, M. Dragovic)
- Funding received
- Schizophrenia under the genomic lens: next generation sequencing of Western Australian families with schizophrenia A.Jablensky, E. Moses, N. McCarthy, P.Melton, V. Morgan, J. Badcock, F. Waters, National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Project Grant 2014
ApneaLink with Oximetry. F. Waters, North Metro Area Mental Health Equipment grant 2012
Portable Somte PSG. F. Waters, North Metro Area Mental Health Equipment grant 2012
Body representation deficits in schizophrenia patients with motor passivity symptoms . F. Waters (AI Jablensky, N. Holmes, M. Dragovic, J. Badcock). National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Project Grant 2010
Measurement of sleep patterns with actigraphy. J. Heyworth, L.Fritschi, F.Bull, B. Giles-Corti, F. Waters, T. Boyle, J.Girschik National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Equipment Grant 2010
Actigraphy monitoring devices. F. Waters, D. Rock North Metro Area Mental Health - Equipment grant 2009
Sleep-wake disturbances in individuals with schizophrenia and their relatives F. Waters, D. Rock, A. Jablensky, R. Foster, K. Wulff, Ada Bartholomew Research Grant 2009
Older Adult Clinical Research Unit, F. Waters, North Metro Area Mental Health
A neurocognitive and electrophysiological investigation of first-rank symptoms in schizophrenia, F. Waters National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Research Training Fellowship 2006
- Honours and awards
- 2014 Excellence in Teaching Award (Research Supervision Award) Nomination, UWA
2012 Excellence in Teaching Award (Research Supervision Award) Winner, UWA
2011 Team Award for Contributions that Enhance Learning, UWA (PSYC1101 Psychology: Mind and Brain)
2010 Excellence in Supervision Award Nomination, University of Western Australia
2007 Early Career Research Scholar Award, from the Australasian Society for Psychiatric Research (ASPR)
2001 Best Oral Presentation (Scientific Merit) Psychology Conference, UWA
- Research profile
Research profile and publications